Friday, July 17, 2009

Thing 5-Microblogging

Okay, I am officially on FaceBook and Twitter. I have to admit that I cannot see how Facebook or Twitter could help my students since I work in an elementary school and I think that both of these sites would be a little too advanced. I can definitely see why high school and college students and beyond enjoy these sites. Facebook is definitely a great way to keep up with friends, classmates and even family members (as I discovered when I joined). I could imagine a teacher or instructor setting up a Facebook page and posting assignments or notes for students to access---complete with pictures. As for Twitter, it is certainly popular. It is a great way to access very current events without accessing the web if you are using a cell phone. Obviously it is much faster and easier to read. I have also noticed TV and radio programs urging viewers/listeners to Twitter questions and comments for on air feedback. I think the idea of using Twitter to back-channel in the instructional setting is a great one---for high school and up. It would definitely be a great way to ask for clarification with anonimity.

No comments: